See here for
essential background: https://hpanwo-hpwa.blogspot.com/2025/07/uch.html.
I have gone back to check out the main entrance and public areas of theUniversity College
Hospital in London .
It was indeed grand, intimidating and pretentious as I predicted; but it was
slightly different to what I expected. It was smaller in terms of footprint,
which may simply be inevitable on the crowded ground of such a large city. The
main entrance consists of a reception desk on the left, manned solely by
civilians, and a very prominent security station opposite; another effect of
London society. Between them are rows of public seats; not very comfortable
ones, similar to those in A&E, see above. The hospital makes up for the lack
of horizontal space by going vertical. The floor is dwarfed by a huge atrium
rising about eight to ten floors above it. Like the JR West Wing, the atrium
has balconies; this architectural template has unfortunately not gone away.
However, perhaps the planners are now finally reading the HPWA because the glass
parapets are far taller, over six feet. Still, I think the danger will only be
removed when they copy the JRH and install floor-to-ceiling windows, see: https://hpanwo-hpwa.blogspot.com/2024/12/jumpers-update.html.
The back door to the main street is only about fifty feet away and it opens
onto Beaumont Place . There
is a lift bay to the north side where I found a pair of baryatric wheelchairs
parked below a decorative montage of the hospital's history. The lifts carry
you to almost all the ward and departmental areas. To the south side is a huge
area with the strange name of "Podium". I went there and saw that it
was a standard visitors', public and staff rest area combined with a cafeteria
and several shops selling the usual newspaper, sweets and snacks. The PALS,
patient advice and liaison service, office was tucked into a corner. There are
posters everywhere introducing members of staff from all disciplines, but none
from portering that I could see. they included a security officer, catering
operator, physiotherapist, an orthopaedic doctor, chaplain, nurse and
radiographer. There was also a corridor art gallery; another feature of
hospitals that seems to be universal, see: https://hpanwo-hpwa.blogspot.com/2026/01/breaking-bad-art-gallery.html.
There was also what looked like a museum cabinet displaying some military
medals, presumably awarded to members of staff during wartime. There were also
very old documents and letter next to them; I didn't stop to read about any
details. There was an internal pharmacy office on the ground floor that had a
portable air conditioner, a pipe snaked through the door and the extractor vent
was shoved into an overhead duct. The whole place was painted white. Not just
pastel with a bit of colour mixed it; it was pure white. After walking around
for a while I finally found the most important thing I was looking for, a
brother porter. He was dropping off a patient in a wheelchair in the public
seating area. His uniform was dark blue and he wore a name badge saying
"Peter" with the word "porter" in smaller print below it. I
said: "I'm one of you! A hospital porter at the John Radcliffe, Oxford .
Pride and dignity, brother!" I saluted him. Peter looked confused. He was
young and clearly a recent African immigrant. He didn't reply, but he did smile
back at me. For some reason the open area directly outside the main entrance on
Euston Road is decorated by
what looked like a giant pebble. I found my very brief visit to the UCH
interesting, but rather dismaying. The place is bland, corporate, tense and
cheap. The decorations and pretty pictures did not solve those matters. My
dismay is not mixed with surprise.
I have gone back to check out the main entrance and public areas of the


No comments:
Post a Comment