Luckily not a real one this time, like we the example we've
discussed before, see: https://hpanwo-hpwa.blogspot.com/2021/12/hospital-pm-scares.html.
This time it was an ordinary human being, a man called Leon Gillespie. He
decided it would be amusing to climb onto the roof of the Glan
Clwyd Hospital
in Bodelwyddan, Wales
dressed as the Grim Reaper, wearing a black cowl, a mask and carrying a scythe.
He stood above the emergency entrance glaring at patients as they were brought
in. Gillespie, from the nearby coastal town on Deganwy, was arrested after four
police cars and a fire engine arrived; that's more than usually attend a
serious on-site crime or fire. He was arrested and pleaded guilty in Llandudno
Magistrates Court to causing a nuisance or disturbance on National Health
Service premises without a reasonable excuse; and also refusing to leave when directed
to by the police and NHS security. He was fined £200. He declined to comment on
his motive. The Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board made a brief statement
to express their outrage. They stated that they maintain a "zero-tolerance
approach to abuse, aggression or nuisance on all their hospital sites."
They have a "commitment to protecting patients, staff and visitors from
disruptive or distressing behaviour." (I doubt that!) I can just see the
school-marmish scowls on their faces. Source: https://metro.co.uk/2026/08/05/man-dressed-grim-reaper-climbed-onto-hospital-roof-stared-patients-29302265/.
I don't know who exactly Leon Gillespie is, but I must say when I first heard
about this story my por-dar was bleeping like a faulty alarm clock. I
understand that some people might find this prank rather inappropriate, but it
is unfortunately another of those moments when I have to force myself not to
laugh. People who serve in our hospitals do develop a dark sense of humour as a
defence mechanism, see: https://hpanwo-hpwa.blogspot.com/2026/07/they-wont-all-get-your-jokes.html
and: https://hpanwo-hpwa.blogspot.com/2022/11/i-really-shouldnt-laugh.html.
However that particular form of gallows humour is not shared by the
administration... in fact no sense of humour at all can be found anywhere
within their parochial and bumptious souls... at least among the minority who
haven't sold them.

No comments:
Post a Comment