Friday 25 March 2022

...One Must Be Silent

 
I thought I'd give my EP&DB&SP's something a little more light-hearted for the weekend. Have you ever been in one of those conversations with another person in which you're disagreeing about a fact and the other person, instead of simply explaining why you are factually wrong just says: "But what would you know!? You're not qualified to express an opinion because..." and they criticize you personally. They concluded: "If you don't know anything about it then don't talk about it!" This is called an ad hominem fallacy and it is so widely committed that it is almost endemic. Unfortunately it was an HP who promoted it with his famous quote: "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent." Ludwig Wittgenstein was a porter at Guys Hospital in London from 1939 to 45; and he also served in an Austrian army field hospital in the Great War of 1914 to 18. He was also an occasional amateur part-time philosopher, so I'm told. His quote has been interpreted to justify the ad hominem fallacy, although this was probably not my brother porter's intention. Anyway a few weeks ago I happened to meet up with the same person again at a family gathering and spoke non-stop for about half an hour about hospital portering. I saw them looking more and more annoyed until eventually they said to me: "Ben, could you please stop going on about hospital portering and change the subject?" I reminded them: "But a few months ago you told me that if I didn't know anything about it then I shouldn't talk about it. Hospital portering is the only thing I know a lot about, so that is what I am talking about? Rememer, this is accordance with your instructions... Or would you prefer it if I just sit here in silence?" I raised my eyebrows and gave a crafty half-smile. The person gritted their teeth and their cheeks flushed as they found themselves boxed into a logical corner. It was almost as satisfying as a well-delivered Dignity Statement! One-nil to the HP's again!
See here for more information: https://hpanwo-hpwa.blogspot.com/2016/05/wittgensteins-poker.html.
And: https://hpanwo-hpwa.blogspot.com/2015/03/wittgenstein-on-that-dress.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment