This is one of the most disturbing stories I've ever had to
cover on the HPWA. A few years ago I bumped into an old colleague from the
hospital, a civilian not a porter. He was a ward clerk on one of the medical
levels that I used to get on well with. Like myself he had moved on to other
things since we last spoke, yet he enjoyed reminiscing about life at the JRH.
At one point in our conversation two names came up; one was a male nurse on one
of the other med wards and another was a sister who was on the same ward. Both
names were well known to me; I'll call the nurse "Fred" and the sister
"Kath". We both spoke about Kath in disparaging terms because neither
of us liked her. I asked my friend about Fred and whether he had heard how Fred
was. My friend looked down sadly and said: "Oh, you haven't heard. I'm
afraid he's dead." I was shocked. This was a man a good decade and a half
younger than me and had no long-term illnesses that I was aware of. "I'm
sorry to hear that." I replied and said a few words about Fred. I pointed
out, with a bit of sentimental humour, that I hadn't envied him working with
Kath every day. My friend nodded and said in a serious tone: "Not half! He
killed himself cos of her." I was speechless. This was the first time my
friend had mentioned that Fred's death had been suicide, let alone the reason
behind it. "He left a note saying that he couldn't bear the way she was
treating him anymore." What shocked and upset me the most about this
conversation was the casual way my friend spoke. I got the feeling this wasn't
the only time somebody he knew had taken his own life. What's more his tone
indicated that he had come to regard suicide as normal, one of the unavoidable
hazards of living, like lightning strikes or sinkholes. This normalization of
suicide is horrific. I wondered how Kath had felt about this. Was she unaware
of how harmful she was being, unable to understand the vulnerability of her
victim; like I report here: https://hpanwo-hpwa.blogspot.com/2025/08/unbreakable-rubber-balls.html?
Possibly, but I think it's unlikely. I came across this video that contained
nothing surprising and actually confirmed my own experience, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LtXyoUb6M8.
It's not just doctors who are very likely to be psychopaths, so are other
people in clinical professions. What's more I think Edward Dutton is being too optimistic.
His research does not include the phenomenon of pseudo-psychopaths, see: https://hpanwo-hpwa.blogspot.com/2025/10/its-our-job.html.
If Kath were a full-blown psycho then obviously she would not give a damn, but
if she's a pseudo-psycho she also might feel very little concern. Pseudos are
capable of empathy and guilt, but they rarely feel it. They tend to invent
excuses and cop-outs to exonerate themselves in their own minds. It was only
years later, when I thought back over this conversation, that the fact struck
me that maybe my former ward clerk colleague is similar. He spoke about Fred's
suicide so nonchalantly that it seemed to me he had rationalized it away too.
Or maybe he was simply desensitized by it happening in his life so often. It
turns out that, tragically and scandalously, suicide is the leading cause of
death among twenty to thirty-four year olds; 16% of women and 27% of men,
that's over a quarter. I don't know, but I suspect that in the National Health
Service that figure is even higher; we know clinical depression is very high
there. This should justify a state of emergency, that dedicated people taking
the king's shilling to save lives end up giving up on their own. What has gone
wrong with us?
See here for more background: https://hpanwo-hpwa.blogspot.com/2023/12/hps-and-psychos.html.
And: https://hpanwo-hpwa.blogspot.com/2015/12/nhs-nurses-destroy-patients-doll.html.
See here for more background: https://hpanwo-hpwa.blogspot.com/2023/12/hps-and-psychos.html.
And: https://hpanwo-hpwa.blogspot.com/2015/12/nhs-nurses-destroy-patients-doll.html.

No comments:
Post a Comment